homestead - Re: [Homestead] horse drawn buggy

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horse drawn buggy
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:02:06 -0800

It's a doctor's buggy, Don. Here's a picture of one that is restored. You'd need to find the top that goes on it or figure out how to make one. It looks to be in good shape. http://wagon-wheel.stores.yahoo.net/noname7.html

Should note that they came as "hard tops" and "soft tops." If you're lucky it will have a manufacturer's ID plate on it. There was Studebaker, Parry, Heinzelman, and a few others.

This link shows better detail on the "soft top" buggy. It's an undercut but the tops are the same on all the different style doctor's buggies http://www.buggy.com/doctor.html

Generally the space right behind the seat was used as a trunk and had a lid.

We used one like the one you're looking at when we showed Arabs. Lots of show folks buy these carriages. The gaited horse and hackney horse folks pay the big bucks for them. They generally want the black lacquer and leather button and tuck upholstry. With the all black, generally the spokes will be a high polished, unpainted wood. Shafts can be done one of three ways: black, high polished, unpainted wood or half unpainted wood and half black (the dividing point is where you wrap the harness lines around the shafts.

Some like the velvet upholstry. If you do the velvet upholstry, then you do the spokes and sometimes the shafts to match (red or deep burgandy or sometimes even a maroon). The mud shield should have some fancy detailing on it.

However, since those aren't original wheels on the buggy, you'll want to do with in high gloss black and generally replace the old spokes with new chrome ones. Since the one you're looking at has the red detailing on the shafts, it probably had the velvet upholstry in a matching color.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

I have a question to throw to the list. Yesterday I looked at a horse drawn
buggy. A friend had been given a forklift and the buggy was at the same
location. See my journal for forklift fun.

I know little about them and this one has little information. They want me
to buy It cheap and restore it but I have no decent place to do the work but
if it is a terrific deal I may take it on. What I need are some leads to
what it may be and what it could be worth both in its present condition and
restored. Anyone know of any web sites or groups that me be able to provide
information.

Here are some pictures.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/buggy.jpg

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/images/brown.jpg

I am currently in the Los Angles area and will be headed for the Bay area in
about an hour.

Don Bowen KI6DIU