homestead - [Homestead] Mustard and Fennel..overcoming food prejudices...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Mustard and Fennel..overcoming food prejudices...
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:40:18 -0400

http://www.foodsubs.com/Greenckg.html

I was looking for mustard recipes and found the above link that I
thought had some good information on it about various greens.
I cut a mess of mustard greens yesterday. For those who are clueless, a
mess of greens is about a paper grocery bag full, enough to fill a large
pot, but that cook down for one meal. This is the first time I'm trying
mustard. DH bought them to collect the seeds, but I can't resist trying
those beautiful greens. The variety I have is similar to or is Osaka
Purple. I cut the leaves, washed them, and cut out the largest part of
the rib/stem. I generally don't like bitter greens so I will probably
blanch the leaves in salt water first. I read that doing that weakens
the bite. Anyway, I thought I would saute some scallions and garlic
with the greens and some chicken broth and see if I like it, following
the recipe here:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007225mustard_greens.php

Last night, we tried Florence Fennel. Just as I don't like bitter
things, I am not much for anise or licorice flavors either. We saw the
bulbs on sale at Kroger, and since we are growing it, we thought we
might ought to try it..lol..
So we sliced it thinly and followed the recipe below:

Caramelized Fennel with Parmesan
Lightly brown pieces of fennel bulb sliced vertically, about 3/8th inch
thick in oil and butter in a non-stick pan. Add 1/4 cup chicken stock,
salt and pepper, cover, and braise for 15-20 minutes over low heat,
until tender.
Grate 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the top, Sprinkle with Italian style
bread crumbs (crumbs with Italian herbs) and broil 'til the cheese
bubbles and browns.

I could not cut the bulb. It was too strongly scented for me. DH
sliced it, and we both wondered if we had made a big mistake. It was
'burn your eyes and throat' strong. The licorice smell filled up the
house as it seared in the pan. It looked beautiful on the plate, but it
took everything I had to taste it. I reminded myself that the Romans
ate this as an appetite suppressant to lose weight..lol
Oh-My-God. I could not believe how good it was! We both loved it. We
did notice that the anise flavor and smell came back strongly as the
finocchio/fennel cooled off, so it is best to eat this dish hot right
out of the oven.

There are a lot of foods that smell one way and taste the other,
especially after they are cooked. There is a big difference between raw
garlic and roasted garlic, and that is the closest analogy I can make to
this Florence Fennel thing.
Realizing this has given us motivation to try more things, like these
mustard greens. They say that one's taste changes every seven years or
so. I'd love to see the research on that. Without a doubt, it is now
becoming fun to try new things. Everyone should do this...it is step
one in our plan of growing more of our own food, and eating
healthier-making healthier choices. You really might be surprised at
what you like that you never liked before.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/

  • [Homestead] Mustard and Fennel..overcoming food prejudices..., EarthNSky, 04/20/2009