homestead - Re: [Homestead] Waxing on about beans

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Waxing on about beans
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:42:30 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2009 4:11:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

> >...how different do
> they taste-you'd think they could come up with a more appetizing name
> than wax bean, wouldn't ya? So they are snapped and cooked like green
> beans, too? Not just for salads? Tell me why I should plant and like
> wax beans.

As far as cultivation, cooking, etc. they are identical in all ways to
green green beans. They do lack a "green" taste. It's hard to describe
unless
you just cook them like regular green beans and taste them. Have you ever
eaten the purple green beans (Purple Royalty for example)?? They taste MORE
green than the green beans. Well, the wax beans just taste LESS green.

They are just a little different, that's all. Pleasantly so. When supper
ends up being borccoli, spinach, slaw, with a garnish of parsley ....
sometimes it's nice to have something NOT green on the plate.

James