homestead - [Homestead] Seedy activities

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Seedy activities
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:10:39 -0400

Inspired by James' reseeding strategy, I took the sunny moment to sow a few more seeds. I planted radishes in about 4 places, even under the irises near my frog pond. I replanted the chard, filling the gaps where there was sparse germination. I had a spot in the top of my strawberry bed that was bare-I apparently planted a crown too deep or something, so that little bare spot got some lettuce(Salad Bowl). I also added New Zealand Spinach to my spinach patch. James, just so you understand, I may call it a spinach patch, but there are other things growing there, too. It has a couple of broccoli plants, some lettuce, some radishes and now some peas. The leeks are only a foot or so separate, so you might as well call that grown together, too. Since it is good soil right near the fence, I reseeded some snow peas in the spinach patch on the fence line and in a few other places here and there. I'm gambling that I can get snow peas off the vines before we fix the chicken moat in that area. These peas are on the moat fence, and once the birds can access that area, I won't get any peas...lol. I also found another pack of broomcorn so I planted that near the chicken moat as well.
Fun, fun. Oh, and I tossed a few cotton seeds in some corners. I love cotton-beautiful plant(and please, no boll weevil lectures)

I'm curious. James, could you estimate how much you would spend on seed if you did not save it? What would your yearly seed cost be?

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/

  • [Homestead] Seedy activities, EarthNSky, 04/20/2009