homestead - Re: [Homestead] CNN Breaking News

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] CNN Breaking News
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 02:23:15 -0400

Hi Karen
I'm just glad that you, your family, and all of my other homestead folks
and family are okay. It is sad that this man felt he needed to do this.
Job loss, poor English skills...it could have been anyone.. I've never
understood the mentality of taking the lives of innocent people. With
the economy still in shambles, sadly, in our society, I don't think we
will see suicides on Wall Street, but I think we will see homicides on
Main Street.

One of our astronomy friends is from White Plains. His dad, who still
lives there, was down visiting this week and I had a chance to meet him.
He was a really nice guy....he was just too funny...he said he had
been down here visiting his son ten times in the last year or two and
still could not find a Georgia peach, that all the peaches in the stores
and stands were from California. Of course, I opened my freezer and
handed him a bag of peaches and showed him the tree. I think I have a
new friend,,,,lol... Really nice guy, tho...
New Yorkers are good people.

knorthup1 AT frontiernet.net wrote:
Hello ~ I'm sure that I am not who you were thinking of,(generally a lurker but an avid follower of all message threads here)but I live in
Candor, NY, which is about 30 miles west of Binghamton. My son &
his girlfriend had business at the Broome County Courthouse, which is
just a few blocks away from the Civic Center, there on Friday morning. They had to take another route home out of Binghamton, as traffic was being directed away from the the main streets there. He called me on his cell phone to see if I had any idea what was going on, and when I went on-line to see what the Binghamton news channel had to report, I was surprised to see that it was the "breaking news"
story on the Yahoo! homepage, via CNN and the AP, as well. And this
morning's news reports out of Pittsburgh (the man reported to be "lying in wait" and the three policemen who were killed outright) -- it's happening on a near-daily basis, it seems. Both of these events
seem to have been premeditated, if the news reports are correct -- the man in Binghamton actually barricaded the back door of the building with his own car to prevent people from leaving, before he entered the building, and the fellow in Pittsburgh was armed and wearing a bullet-proof vest when the police arrived to deal with the reported domestic incident occurring there. Very unsettling times, these.

Karen in southern Central NY

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/