homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fish Kill

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fish Kill
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:54:10 -0400

Hey Bev, I googled a bit and from this website
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7975.html I think I have the
confirmation (*** are mine):

"Aquatic weeds are a common problem in ponds. Some weed growth may
lead to greater fish production but extensive growth interferes with
both fishing and swimming. *****The decay of weeds can use up the
dissolved oxygen in the water and cause a fish kill during winter
months*****. If you experience excessive aquatic plant growth in your
pond, you can obtain a copy of DEC's publication entitled "Aquatic
Plant Control in Your Pond." It provides useful information on the
different methods used to control aquatic vegetation."

There was an unprecedented amount of grass and vegetation that got
submerged after this drought broke in the last month and a half. It's
all rotting and turning to slime now.

There isn't much I can do about it except wait it out and try to keep
the yellow lab from retrieving the putrid carcasses. We are
overpopulated with bream and I suspect they loved the cover of the
grass as the water levels rose and ended up suffocating in the midst
of them. None of the bass or even larger bream seem to be affected
yet- I suspect because they aren't confined to cover.

We don't use any chemicals on the grounds other than roundup and none
of that in the past year so I wasn't too worried about a chemical
cause.

Tomorrow, with the start of a new week I'll get on the community
"jungle telegraph" and see how many of my neighbors with ponds are
experiencing the same thing- maybe with an early trip to the feed
store.

Tate, the lab, thinks it's a good idea to pile these fish at my doorstep.

I want the snapping turtles to get to work on them so I can look
forward to a good summer batch of turtle stew.

Warren