homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fish Kill

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fish Kill
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:41:07 -0400

Warren, I just love solving mysteries like this, but we have to rule out
things, so,
What other fish are in the pond? Bass, catfish?
Is the pond fished regularly? Could this simply be an overpopulation
problem? If there are a lot of larger bream then it is probably not
overpopulation...if almost all the bream are small, then it probably
*is* overpopulation.
Is there any chance that roundup or some other weedkiller or pesticide
got into the pond? Larger fish might be less sensitive or the poison
hasn't invaded deep water yet, or maybe all the fish are dying, but the
larger ones are sinking?(doubtful)
Did you stock the pond or was it already stocked? Is there any chance
that you now have hybridized bluegills that have some genetic defect
that makes them less hardy? I remember reading about that once,
something about the first generation produces mostly males, and then the
second generation dies before they reach maturity.
How deep is the pond? If it is a shallow pond of less than 5 or 6 feet
deep, then I would definitely say that your decomposing grass theory is
valid, however, if there are deep areas, like 12 ft+, there ought to be
enough colder, more oxygen rich water deep. Of course, you do get an
inversion in the Spring and Fall, perhaps the dead grass affected the
inversion, that is, if it has a deep area?

It could simply be a natural event, but I doubt it.

Bev

Mogrits wrote:
I've mentioned before we live on a three acre pond. Today I see approximately a hundred dead bluegills, mostly around three inches
and smaller floating around the edges of the pond. They don't appear malnourished though they probably bloated somewhat to cause them to float.

We've been in an extended drought which caused the shallow banks to recede maybe 10 ft in places, and good stands of grasses and weeds sprouted on that exposed ground. Now that we've had a lot of rain the
pond has been full for about a month and that grass is decomposing.
I suspect this decomposition has depleted the oxygen supply in the
water rapidly and that's causing the fish kill.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead