homestead - [Homestead] Talk Radio

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Talk Radio
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 05:26:11 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday, for the first time, I listened to over an hour of Rush Limbaugh.
I have never heard his radio show, though I have heard enough snippets here
and there on tv, to know what he sounds like, and have read enough comments
from the editorial writers and reader's comments from publications like the
NYT to think I have a good idea of his positions and the fear he generates
among Democrats.

He was the keynote speaker for CPAC which was aired lived on several
channels. So, I watched and listened. I can't believe this is the guy of
which the Democrats seem so paranoid. He sounded like a fairly conservative
mainstream republican. And he displayed a good sense of humor. Now, he is
loud. if ,on his show, he is arguing with other loud people, like many of
the tv talking heads, it would be unbearable to listen.

But, as far as content, he sounded more mainstream than most of the (few)
politicians who make sense to me. I am considered liberal on most social
Issues, and I didn't hear him really allude to any except mentioning the word
"life" which drew applause, as it would at a conservative convention.
His comments on the bail-outs made sense. But, there was a point where he
was defending some of the 'successes' of the NYC banking establishment
members -- which is , to me, like calling a bank robber who hasn't yet been
indicted -- successful.

I don't have a clue why he is popular enough to make as much money as he
reportedly makes, but I also don't understand why pro basketball players make
so much money or why their sport is so popular. That's entertainment ; I
guess.

Paul Harvey died this am. He has lived here in Phoenix for many years. When
I was a kid ; in my father's truck ,or working in his shop, I did listen to
Harvey's (very short) version of talk radio. He probably made a bunch of
money spinning tall tales, too.

Anyway, as someone with little exposure to talk radio, other than occasional
NPR in the wife's car, I was neither terribly impressed nor at all frightened
by Rush Limbaugh. I don't understand the big deal made of him by the MSM.