homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold stratification, was seed starting in paper towels?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold stratification, was seed starting in paper towels?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:20:19 -0500

Sage, I really value your knowledge and expertise on this. I love gardening, but this is a weak area for me. Can you explain what the various actions actually does for germination? I am guessing that the rapid temperature change from freezing to boiling cracks the seed coat, but the rest? Buttermilk carrier medium for the bacteria? Bacteria feed on the yeast in the buttermilk? I have to admit that I did not realize that bluebonnets or lupines in general were legumes. I would not have thought to inoculate them.

And Lynda, I would like some seeds from that KY coffee tree if you can spare a pod or two.

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Some annuals can benefit from this, too. Bluebonnets are considered winter annuals, but have a pretty tough seed coat. I freeze them overnight, then pour boiling water over them in a colander, roll them in buttermilk with legume rhizobium added, and scatter them. Works like a charm!

--Sage

Lynda wrote:
Kentucky coffee tree. <g> I know this one because someone sent me some seeds and said it would be impossible to grow them. I stuck them in the freezer, gave them a couple of little slices and then stuck them in the ground just before the snow hit and I now have a couple of Kentucky coffee trees.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
EarthNSky Farm, Northwest Georgia, USA