homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold stratification, was seed starting in paper towels?

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold stratification, was seed starting in paper towels?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:02:35 -0600

Some annuals can benefit from this, too. Bluebonnets are considered winter annuals, but have a pretty tough seed coat. I freeze them overnight, then pour boiling water over them in a colander, roll them in buttermilk with legume rhizobium added, and scatter them. Works like a charm!

--Sage

Lynda wrote:
Kentucky coffee tree. <g> I know this one because someone sent me some seeds and said it would be impossible to grow them. I stuck them in the freezer, gave them a couple of little slices and then stuck them in the ground just before the snow hit and I now have a couple of Kentucky coffee trees.

Other than those, if I remember correctly, most perrenials do better or require it. It is annuals that don't. Plus, most trees need some sort of stratification be it soaking, refrigeration, fall planting, outdoor treatment, scoring of seeds, etc.

And then you have the seeds that need/do better with heat/fire. My favs, of course, redwoods.

Can we amass a list of things that need cold stratification?

In addition to echinacea and milkweeds (which I was not not aware of),
I'll add:

Hops
Chestnuts

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Lisa, it works well only for those seeds that need cold stratification,
like purple coneflower, milkweeds, etc. Usually the seed package will
say cold stratification is needed. Some people use paper towels, some
use damp sand, but I use coffee filters and small plastic bags for
starting my prairie plants in the fridge.
--
EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia