homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cool Indian photo site

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cool Indian photo site
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 05:54:12 -0800 (PST)

Good observation, Rob. I didn't think of it that way. I always like old
b/w portatrits. I have Curtiss books (not oiginals, of course), and Barry
Goldwater was one of the last men to go into the remaining vestigese of the
'old ways' of the western Indian tribes and take photos, also b/w, but not
portraits.

If you notice the adornments (like the beadwork on the fan and in the hair of
the portatrait to which I linked) the work is just exquisite. The onlt time
you can see anything like that, today, is in places like the Heard Museum, or
, occasionally, in the homes of the very wealthy.

And, some of the names are cool. One of the chief's name was something like
'afraid of the bear' -- and it looked like he had scars on the outside of his
hands. I haven't a clue if one had to do with the other.

I saw your other post this am. I'll spend some time, there too.