homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading & Survivalist

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading & Survivalist
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:17:23 -0800 (PST)

What you just wrote is one of the main motivators for rural relocation. I
could enhance the soil of my 1/3 of a city acre to its fullest potential, and
use every inch to grow vegetables, But, I am completely dependent on 'city
water'. If water use is restricted, my ability to grow food is gone. I have
a small stockpile of canned food, but , only small. If things get 'that' bad
-- and I am not expecting them to, in the next year or so-- I'll just leave.

The ability to grow food, for me, is more than just an ability to feed myself
and my wife. I really enjoy working with the dirt and plants. I get a kick
from going outside and seeing that plants are bigger and prettier one day,
than they were the day before.

People who homestead (or whatever label that labeling people want to use)just
to feed themselves for the sake of eating are no different at all than a
survivalist (or whatever labelers want to label 'them'). In both cases ,
they are just hunkering down with enough to eat. But growing one's own food
is not just 'eating' , it is a kind of permaculture that goes beyond just
eating.

Part of living in a large city is wonderful. I like the museums, the great
art and book shows; the occasional Broadway road show; But, I have become
enchanted with gardening and know that gardening and other things I desire to
do can only be done in a rural setting. I can always visit the city.

You are so right about the strength a person gets from being independent,
Rob. And, I think that is what you meant by the 'power' of growng your own
food. The less you have to depend on the ability, ethics, nature, opinions
of others, the more powerful you become on your own.

I'm sure, where you are, you have people on whom you can depend, as do I,
but you 'could' get by without them. In the city, you can not just
disconnect -- if for no other reason than utilities and space.

I don't discount the highly held self - opinions of "homesteaders",
"survivalists", "hippies"; or any one else who labels themselves anything
else, for that matter. Everyone has to decide what is their correct path,
and then make their trail.

I don't know, at all, any more, if I could kill my own livestock, like pigs,
that is just the truth. But, I would imagine I could pay someone else or
trade/barter for someone who would do that unpleasant task. If not, I could
learn to mainly eat vegetables :-). Or, perhaps, killing will come as
easily , agan, as it did when I was young -- I just don't know; and don't
really care -- I'll figure that out, too.

Life , including the sour economic future we are facing, is full of all kinds
of wonderful surprises and opportunitties; if a person is looking for them,
instead of always being dour and down. I spent (wasted really) part of the
past few years being dour, not appreciating all of the fun and the joy in
life. I'm going to try not to do that as often.

I will complain about activism which bothers me in our culutre; Invasion of
our privacy, wasteful spending of my tax money; but , at the same time, I'll
be making faster prepeartions to move to the point (and physical location)
where I can relax and be happy. Life is not all about work and worry -- not
my life, anyway. I will do the work required to satisfy myself -- the rest
be damned.

I own farmland within an hour and a half of Leslie -- She will do better than
she thinks -- she needs to get to know her earthship guy better. Place
dictates function, in some endeavors.

Hell , I might move up near you ; I still know a few girls up around
Harrisonburg and Staunton, if they haven't moved. No -- wait--, they would
be in their mid forties by now -- almost as old as my wife . hmmmm

'you can't buy youth; but by G-d, I refuse to act, all of the time, as an old
sourpuss.

Thanks again for writing that comment about the powerful nature of growing
one's own food. My pitiful little garden has brought me much joy........

--- On Sun, 1/18/09, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

Being able to grow food is much more powerful than stockpiling food.
It's much more fulfilling, also. It's a good idea to have some food on
hand. Even a small stockpile, but much, much more powerful to be able