homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lee Jackson Day

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lee Jackson Day
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:19:24 -0500

Georgia doesn't celebrate anything but King day to my knowledge. I had
never heard of it until a few years ago when my Alabama friend mentioned
Lee Day. I am not sure if she still calls it Lee Day or Lee Jackson
Day, but I do believe they celebrate it on MLK Day, not on Friday.
There may still be some variation on the name and when it is celebrated.
A few months back I read something about calling it Southern Heritage
Day, and I really like that. That is inclusive, non partisan, and
something no one mistakes. Lee and Jackson were patriots and state's
right's advocates. King was a teacher of non-violent protest and a
great inspirational leader. These great Americans were all from the
South, all true heroes.

Robert Walton wrote:
Today is Lee Jackson day in Virginia. A few years back it got separated from Martin Luther King day which is Monday. Being an admirer of history, both, I think, are great holidays. Sometimes Virginia gets flack from those who do not really understand Southern pride or history. Coming here from a state like Florida, that is largely controlled by northerners, I really appreciate Virginia's nod
to our history.

I found this old blog archive this morning and found it very
interesting: http://www.redpolka.org/blog/archives/001386.html

In a wonderful twist of historic irony we have Lee, Jackson, & King celebrated at the same time. While many smear & demonize all things Southern & all things Confederate, it is worth noting htat Lee & Jackson opposed the institution of slavery.

In an 1856 letter to President Pierce Lee stated that "there are few,
I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy.
This influence, though slow, is sure".

Virginia didn't seceed until after Lincoln called an Army to invade the cotton states. In a letter to his daughter, Lee wrote "With all
my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my
hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword."

After the war Lee said "all the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our Forefathers, should be preserved and
that the government, as originally organized, should be administered
in purity and truth" and that "Had I known what use those people
would make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox…I would have preferred to die beside my men, my sword in
my good right hand."

Jackson held similar views towards the institution of slavery. This incredibly law-abiding man broke the law every Sunday by teaching slaves and free blacks how to read. In 1855, he spearheaded the
effort to hold classes every Sunday at 3:00 in Lexington, Virginia's Presbyterian Church. Historian Dr. James Robertson notes that, "In Jackson's mind, slaves were children of God placed in subordinate situations for reasons only the Creator could explain. Helping them was a missionary effort for Jackson. Their souls had to be saved. Although Jackson could not alter the social status of slaves, he
could and did display Christian decency to those whose lot it was to
be in bondage…he was emphatically the black man's friend." In fact,
after the Battle of Manassas, Jackson realized he forgot to send his offering to the black school. Expecting news of the war, worshipers
at the church opened Jackson's letter only to read, "In my tent last night, after a fatiguing day's service, I remembered that I failed to
send a contribution for our colored Sunday school. Enclosed you will
find a check for that object, which please acknowledge at your earliest convenience and oblige yours faithfully."

Historian R.G. Williams summarized that "General Stonewall Jackson was, without question, one of the greatest generals America ever produced. He was fearless in battle and his legendary 'Valley Campaign' fought in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia is still
studied to this day. But more than that, he was a devout Christian
and a lover of all good men – regardless of their color. Southerners
and lovers of truth should do everything possible to educate future
generations about the truth of our history, especially when it comes
to the heroes of our faith and of our beloved Southland. Only in
truth can we worship the Creator of all men. "

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge