homestead - [Homestead] Lee Jackson Day

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Lee Jackson Day
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:21:11 -0500

Today is Lee Jackson day in Virginia. A few years back it got
separated from Martin Luther King day which is Monday. Being an
admirer of history, both, I think, are great holidays. Sometimes
Virginia gets flack from those who do not really understand Southern
pride or history. Coming here from a state like Florida, that is
largely controlled by northerners, I really appreciate Virginia's nod
to our history.

I found this old blog archive this morning and found it very interesting:
http://www.redpolka.org/blog/archives/001386.html

In a wonderful twist of historic irony we have Lee, Jackson, & King
celebrated at the same time. While many smear & demonize all things
Southern & all things Confederate, it is worth noting htat Lee &
Jackson opposed the institution of slavery.

In an 1856 letter to President Pierce Lee stated that "there are few,
I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that
slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. Their
emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences
of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy.
This influence, though slow, is sure".

Virginia didn't seceed until after Lincoln called an Army to invade
the cotton states. In a letter to his daughter, Lee wrote "With all my
devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an
American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my
hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore
resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native
State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be
needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword."

After the war Lee said "all the South has ever desired was that the
Union, as established by our Forefathers, should be preserved and that
the government, as originally organized, should be administered in
purity and truth" and that "Had I known what use those people would
make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at
Appomattox…I would have preferred to die beside my men, my sword in my
good right hand."

Jackson held similar views towards the institution of slavery. This
incredibly law-abiding man broke the law every Sunday by teaching
slaves and free blacks how to read. In 1855, he spearheaded the effort
to hold classes every Sunday at 3:00 in Lexington, Virginia's
Presbyterian Church. Historian Dr. James Robertson notes that, "In
Jackson's mind, slaves were children of God placed in subordinate
situations for reasons only the Creator could explain. Helping them
was a missionary effort for Jackson. Their souls had to be saved.
Although Jackson could not alter the social status of slaves, he could
and did display Christian decency to those whose lot it was to be in
bondage…he was emphatically the black man's friend." In fact, after
the Battle of Manassas, Jackson realized he forgot to send his
offering to the black school. Expecting news of the war, worshipers at
the church opened Jackson's letter only to read, "In my tent last
night, after a fatiguing day's service, I remembered that I failed to
send a contribution for our colored Sunday school. Enclosed you will
find a check for that object, which please acknowledge at your
earliest convenience and oblige yours faithfully."

Historian R.G. Williams summarized that "General Stonewall Jackson
was, without question, one of the greatest generals America ever
produced. He was fearless in battle and his legendary 'Valley
Campaign' fought in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia is still studied
to this day. But more than that, he was a devout Christian and a lover
of all good men – regardless of their color. Southerners and lovers of
truth should do everything possible to educate future generations
about the truth of our history, especially when it comes to the heroes
of our faith and of our beloved Southland. Only in truth can we
worship the Creator of all men. "