homestead - Re: [Homestead] I.O.U.S.A. on CNN -- right now

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I.O.U.S.A. on CNN -- right now
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:51:04 -0500

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I haven't seen it, can't watch it, and now no longer have CNN.
> Does this talk about the US owning China and what would happen should
> China call our bluff?

If China doesn't want to keep buying U.S. treasuries, which, by the way,
they are already seriously considering, then it pretty much said we are *
bleeped*. At the time the movie was made in summer 2007, the deficit was
8.7T.

It will be just another 10 years +/- when we can no longer borrow from
Social Security to help pay the interest on the deficit, after that time the
deficit skyrockets and will never be paid down (unless you can stay alive
for another 134 years or so and have your income taxes increase to 42%+/-
for the middle class that entire time).

It had a nice graph with a sometimes bouncing, often rolling penny that well
illustrated the deficits and spending habits over the years back to the
1800's.

The main point at the end was that we need to act now, as in right NOW. The
point was made by David Walker, the former U.S. Comptroller General in the
Bush Admin. who resigned, that short of a nuclear bomb hitting one of our
cities by a terrorist, this is the foremost important problem we need to
confront.

Cheery, eh?!

It's worth watching. I meant it about clutching your throat or heart, or
perhaps both.

lkvp