homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and beyond

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading and beyond
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 08:28:52 -0800

Since I have all the journals, I can saw positively that it happened from 1850 to 1892. Not just produce, beef as well. Same thing. The homestead produced it. It supported the building of two houses, the barns, and the feeding and clothing of 17 children plus several spouses and grandchildren that moved onto the homestead. Of course, being in timber country, some of the land was logged but most of that went to building the "new" (1870) house (still standing) and the barns and homes for the various children when they moved off the homestead and bought their own property. The homestead "produce" also "bought" tutors that were shipped up from San Francisco to teach various things such as playing the piano and violin and the instuments needed to learn those things. The "produce" also purchased wagons, horses, cows, etc.

It also happened from 1887 to 19 something (I don't have the exact dates sitting right here at the computer) when two of those 17 children moved to a section of land in Washington that was known as the Puget Sound Colony (4 families homesteaded the section of land) and the only "work" to support non- homestead produced needs was working the homestead. No one worked off the homestead. When Uncle Eugene and two of the other men were killed in a logging accident (to build a new barn), the "colony" was sold and everyone moved to the city.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Among a great many other things Charles Ingalls in the books was a furniture > maker. He worked logging and as a teamster on occasions. The mother took a
job as a cook once.

The idea of homestead farm produce supporting all the cash needs of the
enterprise is, says I, a modern construct. When in history did it ever happen that
way?

James