homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mountain Lions

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mountain Lions
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:06:35 +0000

Hey, I like that idea, Linda. It is similar to how having guineas work for
me. The guineas and the dumb chickens forage too far from the henhouse for
the dog to keep up with them all. The smart chickens stay around the central
area where he guards, and they never get eaten. But the guineas and dumb
chickens get snagged by the fox and weasel who lives in the ravine and my
flock gets selectively thinned for the smart chickens. And those are the ones
who's eggs I incubate. Not sure if it is an inherited genetic trait yet,
though, lol. There seems to be dumb chickens in every flock.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)