homestead - Re: [Homestead] Burning coal at home/greenhouse

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Burning coal at home/greenhouse
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:31:31 -0500

p.s. I'm still a little confused; without heat; how is the greenhouse much different than the outside? Is it just the >structure keeping off the different precipitation?

It's insulated on 3 sides and has triple layers of plastic on the south roof and wall. It's based on the Solviva greenhouse, which stayed above freezing all winter without any heat (in MA), mine isn't as tight, but it stays about 20 degrees above outside temperatures at night. During a sunny day, it can be 20 degrees out, but get up to 80 degrees in the greenhouse (that's when the roof vents open). I had a min/max thermometer set up for a couple of years, and the year-round temerature spread was 20-100 degrees...but most of the time, except for short periods of extreme temps, it's 40-90 degrees.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA