homestead - [Homestead] Hatching Round II

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hatching Round II
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:35:26 -0500

Today, I removed the automatic turner from the eggs. It is day 18. I also misted the eggs. There have been no temperature fluctuations that I have noted. By friday, I should have more chicks.
I have 19 eggs in the incubator, two are questionable, one is a maybe yes and the other is a probably not...both questionable eggs came from G. All of the eggs I collected here, all 11 appear viable.

I've had no losses since the last hatching...chicken count remains the same. Last hatch chicks are now 23 days old and are growing quickly. The first group of 8 chicks will soon go into the the old coop, which I have been working on this week to make it more secure. The roof leaks from where the tornado put a tree on the barn, but I hammered up back up as best as I could and hopefully slowed the leak a bit. I ended up moving the roosts to make sure the birds stay dry. The only thing I have left to do is find some kind of tarp or plastic to cover the north and west sides. It is almost time to play chicken musical pens...(sometime next week)

“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

  • [Homestead] Hatching Round II, EarthNSky, 12/17/2008