homestead - [Homestead] Freezing eggs (was: Butchering chickens)

  • From: "Karen L. Black" <karen AT plamondon.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Freezing eggs (was: Butchering chickens)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:08:05 -0800

Bev writes:

> Do hardboiled eggs freeze that well, or is it only suitable for pigs?

I started hardboiling eggs for the pigs because I was concerned that they
could eat enough raw eggs for the avidin in the white
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidin) to cause them biotin deficiency. Then
I realized that a frozen hardboiled egg would not leak when thawed and fed
to the pigs, unlike a raw one. Later, I found that pigs are just as eager
for frozen "eggsicles" and don't care if they are peeled. These discoveries
have saved me a great deal of needless busywork. Now, I pull a dozen out of
the freezer and toss them to the pigs.

Karen Black
Norton Creek Press
Blodgett, OR