homestead - [Homestead] Shoulda, coulda, woulda

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Shoulda, coulda, woulda
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:36:04 -0500

A little bit ago, I opened the door to turn on the porch Christmas
lights. It is a drizzling, foggy night, just miserable, so I did not go
hunting today. I saw some movement near the trucks, and my first thought
was that it was a cat. It may have been a cat, but I'm not real sure.
No one around here has a cat, but I suppose one could have been dropped
off. It was headed towards my chicken tractor, so I ran and got the
nearest weapon, my .22. As I grabbed it, I thought, maybe I need the
223-could have been a fox-then thought, no, it was a cat,,,,22 is
fine.....so I grabbed the gun and went out on the deck, but did not see
the 'cat'. In 10 seconds, it had disappeared. I walked through my
front yard to the driveway, looking for whatever it was, when my eye
caught movement in the pasture....a deer!! I ran back in the house to
get the deer rifle, but by the time I got back out there, the deer has
disappeared into the mist and dark. I walked to the road, hoping to
spook the deer out of its hiding place, but never saw him again...it was
too dark to see anything-too dark to hunt.
Feeling like I lost out twice, I walked back up the house in the dark,
rifle slung over my shoulder. Just as I approached my back door, I
heard a commotion behind the house...3 deer or more ran up the hill...
Strike three.
I shoulda grabbed the deer rifle instead of the 22.
I coulda had at least one deer.
I woulda had my first kill.
Just my luck.
Now, tomorrow, I know where I am going to be...I am going to be at the
bottom of that hill!!

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda