homestead - Re: [Homestead] Auto Bail-out vote today

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Auto Bail-out vote today
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:14:56 -0800 (PST)

This commentary from Tom Friedman in today's NYT gives an entirely different
reason why the auto bail-ouy will not work. I've read Friedman for years,
and though I do consider him an expert on International affairs, I don't
value his opinion on domestic or financial affairs any higher than any other
opinion maker, small-town or big city. This is just a bit funny that two
different commentaries from two opposing points of view, both imply the
bail-outs are mind-numblingly stupid...........

While Detroit Slept

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

Published: December 9, 2008

As I think about our bailing out Detroit, I can’t help but reflect on what,
in my view, is the most important rule of business in today’s integrated and
digitized global market, where knowledge and innovation tools are so widely
distributed. It’s this: Whatever can be done, will be done. The only question
is will it be done by you or to you. Just don’t think it won’t be done. If
you have an idea in Detroit or Tennessee, promise me that you’ll pursue it,
because someone in Denmark or Tel Aviv will do so a second later.

Why do I bring this up? Because someone in the mobility business in Denmark
and Tel Aviv is already developing a real-world alternative to Detroit’s
business model. I don’t know if this alternative to gasoline-powered cars
will work, but I do know that it can be done — and Detroit isn’t doing it.
And therefore it will be done, and eventually, I bet, it will be done
profitably.

And when it is, our bailout of Detroit will be remembered as the equivalent
of pouring billions of dollars of taxpayer money into the
mail-order-catalogue business on the eve of the birth of eBay. It will be
remembered as pouring billions of dollars into the CD music business on the
eve of the birth of the iPod and iTunes. It will be remembered as pouring
billions of dollars into a book-store chain on the eve of the birth of
Amazon.com and the Kindle. It will be remembered as pouring billions of
dollars into improving typewriters on the eve of the birth of the PC and the
Internet.

What business model am I talking about? It is Shai Agassi’s electric car
network company, called Better Place. Just last week, the company, based in
Palo Alto, Calif., announced a partnership with the state of Hawaii to road
test its business plan there after already inking similar deals with Israel,
Australia, the San Francisco Bay area and, yes, Denmark.

The Better Place electric car charging system involves generating electrons
from as much renewable energy — such as wind and solar — as possible and then
feeding those clean electrons into a national electric car charging
infrastructure. This consists of electricity charging spots with plug-in
outlets — the first pilots were opened in Israel this week — plus
battery-exchange stations all over the respective country. The whole system
is then coordinated by a service control center that integrates and does the
billing.

Under the Better Place model, consumers can either buy or lease an electric
car from the French automaker Renault or Japanese companies like Nissan
(General Motors snubbed Agassi) and then buy miles on their electric car
batteries from Better Place the way you now buy an Apple cellphone and the
minutes from AT&T. That way Better Place, or any car company that partners
with it, benefits from each mile you drive. G.M. sells cars. Better Place is
selling mobility miles.

The first Renault and Nissan electric cars are scheduled to hit Denmark and
Israel in 2011, when the whole system should be up and running. On Tuesday,
Japan’s Ministry of Environment invited Better Place to join the first
government-led electric car project along with Honda, Mitsubishi and Subaru.
Better Place was the only foreign company invited to participate, working
with Japan’s leading auto companies, to build a battery swap station for
electric cars in Yokohama, the Detroit of Japan.

What I find exciting about Better Place is that it is building a car company
off the new industrial platform of the 21st century, not the one from the
20th — the exact same way that Steve Jobs did to overturn the music business.
What did Apple understand first? One, that today’s technology platform would
allow anyone with a computer to record music. Two, that the Internet and MP3
players would allow anyone to transfer music in digital form to anyone else.
You wouldn’t need CDs or record companies anymore. Apple simply took all
those innovations and integrated them into a single music-generating,
purchasing and listening system that completely disrupted the music business.

What Agassi, the founder of Better Place, is saying is that there is a new
way to generate mobility, not just music, using the same platform. It just
takes the right kind of auto battery — the iPod in this story — and the right
kind of national plug-in network — the iTunes store — to make the business
model work for electric cars at six cents a mile. The average American is
paying today around 12 cents a mile for gasoline transportation, which also
adds to global warming and strengthens petro-dictators.

Do not expect this innovation to come out of Detroit. Remember, in 1908, the
Ford Model-T got better mileage — 25 miles per gallon — than many Ford, G.M.
and Chrysler models made in 2008. But don’t be surprised when it comes out of
somewhere else. It can be done. It will be done. If we miss the chance to win
the race for Car 2.0 because we keep mindlessly bailing out Car 1.0, there
will be no one to blame more than Detroit’s new shareholders: we the
taxpayers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/opinion/10friedman.html?hp