homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Tax The Rich"

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Tax The Rich"
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:10:30 -0800 (PST)

<<<"Raising taxes is counterproductive for two reasons: it can cause social
unrest and it takes money out of people’s pockets who would otherwise be
“aiding” the economy by purchasing things.">>>

Ok, well obviously, this means the government will print the money out of
thin air.... again to the monetary inflation argument.

<<<<"However, there is a class of people whom this does not apply to: the
very wealthy. By taxing them instead, money will not be taken out of the
economy since it lays idle in banks (especially since they’ve temporarily
stopped gambling in the stock market). Also, there can be no fear of social
unrest when this group is taxed, since they constitute a very, very small
section of society.">>>>

Hmm, in/after the depression the gov't raised income taxes to 62%, Obama has
already mentioned 60%.  The very wealthy aren't that big of a percentage,
raising their taxes isn't going to make much of a dent in the $200 Billion
and growing state budgets deficits.  (Somewhere I read that at one point in
history we were at nearly 90+% income tax.)

The government of course caused all this suffering.... they made promise
after promise after promise to millions and millions of people who because
dependent, not realizing there was truly no funding for all of the social
programs.  This caused a lot of people to make decisions that did not include
providing for themselves.

One often wonders how people ever survived before the government milk bottle
was invented.  I've heard that before, neighbors & family used to take care
of each other.

Anyway, many will probably blame the rich for causing this,,,, but I blame
the government for making promises that long term could not be guaranteed...