homestead - Re: [Homestead] New Animal rights laws

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] New Animal rights laws
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:10:15 -0800

I have oft pondered the strange sensation that overtakes people, such as this writer, as soon as California passes a law or the Ninth District makes a decision. Usually reasonable people become hysterical or come up with outlandish ideas. And, of course, they are always doom and gloom.

Of course, Singer has a book he's trying to sell at the moment. And when you consider his older book (1975) that he keeps trying to get republished (Animal Liberation, Practical Ethics), I shouldn't be surprised that he'd jump on this subject.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I heard the president of PETA, once, make the statement that if she had the choice of either saving a drowning child or a dog, it would depend on whether the child was bright and attractive. Those are the PETA types that I consider irrational and dangerous.

I don't like all of this gov't involvement (projected in this article), but I also don't like animal abuse, whether they are pets or food animals. If I were given the option the PETA lady said, and the dog was 'my dog', for whom I care more than you can imagine; and the human , child or not, was a stranger, I would save the human. However, if I knew for a fact that the human was a recidivist armed robber or rapist or a person who hurt children; or an investment banker; I would save my dog. I guess everything is relative.........................bobford