homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm terms

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm terms
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:58:46 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
"There's a doe in the pasture!"
it means it's time to take down the rifle and shoot it. If you don't
want someone to go into instant Esau mode, best to call the caprines
"nannies".

Having a friend who is a professional nanny sheds a different light on
the nanny in the pasture thing..also, it is not uncommon in these parts
to hear one call their grandmother, Nanny.
It's what you learn-what you get used to saying- no oneupsmanship about
it...You can say nanny, and I will understand. I will say doe in the
same context and you will understand. Of course, we could compromise
and say cabras<g>, which I like better than either term.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda