homestead - [Homestead] The power of energy conservation

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The power of energy conservation
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:51:56 -0700

What grabbed my attention here is the Amory Lovins quote. Imagine the incredible consequences.

Conserve, baby, conserve

Tanya Travis
Grand Junction

Conserve, baby, conserve. The current dramatic drop in oil prices is due to a decrease in worldwide DEMAND not domestic production. Paul Roberts in “The End of Oil” notes that today’s car can travel twice as far on a gallon of gas as it did in 1970. Our appliances are much more energy efficient. Between 1975 and 2000, even as the economy grew by 50 percent, our energy intensity (the amount of energy needed to produce a dollar GPD) fell by 40 percent. Except for our nutty return to SUVs as Reagan froze the CAFÉ standards in 1986, we have some advantages for transitioning out of an oil and gas economy into the alternative strategies of tomorrow. We cannot afford an administration that ignores the climate effects of burning fossil fuels and the economic devastation of this addiction as the end of oil approaches. Amory Lovins notes that just a 2.7-miles-per-gallon gain in the fuel economy could displace Persian Gulf imports entirely. Vote smart, get smart about what you can do to save real dollars, short and long term. Regardless of who wins, do your part to conserve.

http://www.gjfreepress.com/article/20081104/LETTERS/811039981/1020/NONE&title=Conserve,%20baby,%20conserve

  • [Homestead] The power of energy conservation, Gene GeRue, 11/13/2008