homestead - Re: [Homestead] Africa-originally posted on 10/2

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Africa-originally posted on 10/2
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 02:32:04 -0800 (PST)

Jerry, if you have the time to reply. I have also been enthralled with a
certain idealization of an Africa that "could be" or "should be". Perhaps,
because of Nat. Geo, adventure novels and Wildlife shows as a kid.
And maybe because of the concept that all life , including human, probably
originated there.

But, I have seen and read in a number of venue that the majority of relief
that Western countries have sent to help have ended up being mis-used by
mal-intentioned groups to keep and wield power, rather than to feed and
provide services for the needy. I just read, in the past week, that Bill
Gates has been told that the Billions he has donated to Africa have largely
produced no good result.

If a President Obama can't have influence there, I don't know who could.
But, what could he do that has not been done? South Africa has done well, I
have also thought, since Apartheid was stopped. But, I read that their new
president has different outlook than his pre-decessors, post-apartheid.

My brother has gone to (church sponsored) building activities in the
Carribean, similar to Habitat for Humanity, and his church , once was
considering such an endeavor to a country in Africa, but was told the danger
was too high.

Other than hit and miss charity, what really can BO or anyone else do?
....bobford