homestead - [Homestead] Pete Seeger - The Power of Song

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pete Seeger - The Power of Song
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:17:39 -0700

Our television is not connected to anything that will bring in whatever is on tv these days. But we do like watching movies, so we are subscribed to Netflix. Chris and I go look at the offerings from time to time and she chooses chick flix and name-actor films and I choose other stuff. One of my choices--the one in the subject line above--showed up today and we watched it. Chris thought she would probably not like it at all. She loved it.

The documentary starts by showing the Seeger homestead, including the house he built himself. Various scenes show him working with an axe.

While his life is irrevocably intertwined in activist politics, his music is the thing. From his gift ukulele as a boy to the guitar and banjo, he spoke most loudly with his music. He made mistakes. He was briefly a communist, refused to say what Congress wanted, became blacklisted, came back bigger than ever. In 1966 he co-founded the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater, which has done good work to clean that polluted waterway.

There are fun vignettes of Dylan, Baez, Springstein, Arlo and Woody Guthrie, various members of his old groups. Lots of scenes from old performances with The Almanac Singers and The Weavers.

Those who like folk music but don't like his activist politics can still enjoy the movie. Seeger did much to popularize the five-string banjo and the twelve-string guitar. He wrote music, he taught music, he most loved to play and sing with an audience in full participation.

Pete Seeger is now 89, so I'm glad this movie was made while he is still alive. He's an American classic, to many a hero.

"I like to say I'm more conservative than Goldwater. He just wanted to turn the clock back to when there was no income tax. I want to turn the clock back to when people lived in small villages and took care of each other."
-- Pete Seeger