homestead - Re: [Homestead] was derision of politicians, now A/P

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was derision of politicians, now A/P
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 22:20:09 -0500

> So you gave birth at home, like james described? I guess there is a lot
> going on around me in the world of which >I am not aware. Everyone I know
> gets mad because their wife gets sent home from the hospital too soon.
I couldn't find any midwives willing to do home birth, so I went to a Birth
Center. It was a nice place, in a big old Victorian house, with real bedrooms
and with no doctors in sight, completely run by absolutely wonderful
midwives. The first time, I called when my water broke and they kept telling
me it would be hours yet, and to wait until the contractions were
stronger...I finally followed my instincts and went to the Birth Center. The
baby was crowning when I got there, and born within minutes. With the second
one, they had me come in at the first sign of labor. They get the mother up
and moving quickly and send them home within a few hours.

BTW the HMO we had at the time would have covered any kind of expensive
hospital birth, but not the Birth Center prenatal care or birth...we had to
pay the $700 out of pocket.

Lynn Wigglesworth