homestead - [Homestead] My political story-isn't it ironic<g>

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] My political story-isn't it ironic<g>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 17:43:16 -0500

Sage's mention of working on a political campaign sparked my own memories...

When I was in college, I got roped into working on a political campaign
once. I say 'roped into', but after I got started on it, I actually
enjoyed it-going to parties and mixers and working with all kinds of new
people. Drew and maybe a few others will get a kick out of this..I
worked for George Busbee, a Democrat, the governor of GA after Jimmy
Carter. Oh how naive I was in my youth..lol...

http://www.nndb.com/people/377/000053218/
Look at those eyes, such a kind and gentle soul...HA

So anyway, I worked my butt off for him-there is no telling how much
gasoline I burned in my $200 Ford that was a POS, a car that had been
used as a mail delivery car and there was no telling how many times the
odometer had turned over. I could even see the pavement through the
floorboard. I was working multiple jobs to put myself through school, so
it was a real sacrifice for me to work on anyone's campaign. I had to
go and pick up signs and banners and such and take them to other places,
organize rallies at Emory, GA Tech, and GA state...it was a lot of work,
I kid you not.

At the time, I was estranged from my family and had no contact, but a
few years later, when things had normalized, somehow the issue of
campaigning came up and I mentioned that I had worked for the Busbee
campaign to my mother..lol
I thought she was going to stroke out.
As it turns out, years before, he was my adoptive father's divorce
attorney. It was Busbee who screwed me over and did not look out for my
interests when I was 1 year old. It was Busbee who was able to get my
father out of his parental duties of things like carrying medical
insurance on me. It was Busbee who got my father out of setting aside
any kind of college fund. It was Busbee who encouraged my father to
move out of state so that he would not have to pay child support when
his income increased. It was Busbee who advised him to keep moving so
that my mother would stay off balance and not be able to file a lawsuit.

So this guy, that I thought I knew, had really affected me personally.
I know what it is like to be kicked in the stomach by a politician, so I
hope none of you ever feel that. There are lots of things named for the
man in these parts. I think of all that sweat every time I drive on
Busbee Parkway.

B, isn't it ironic, doncha think?

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda