homestead - [Homestead] maul handles and chainsaw tools.

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] maul handles and chainsaw tools.
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:01:02 -0400

> Is a post maul about as long face to face as the face is across, with
> two same-shaped faces? we got such a thing with the house. With it
> weighing 12 pounds, I may not drive too many posts with it.

You are correct. There should be a number on the side which is the weight
in pounds. I lost my front teeth to a post maul. We were driving a 2 by 4
under the corner of the house to get the floor level. The maul glanced off
the 2 by and the next point of contact was my face.

> My plan is to have the pick axe head with me when I buy a handle.

The maul is about 700 miles west of here. With a bit of draw knife work I
expect it to fit.

I also found some other things while here. There is a miserable chainsaw
back at Heartwood. It is a cheapy Homelite that was missing the fuel tank
filter. Dirt had gotten into the carburetor so I took it apart and cleaned
and kitted the carburetor. I could not get it to run at all well so took it
to the ever more so knowledgeable friend up the hill. He looked at it and
said the carburetor needed adjusted but he could not do it. He needed a
special tool.

It seems that the EPA in its superior knowledge decided that us peons out
here do not have the necessary skills to properly adjust a carburetor so
they mandated a special screw head on the adjustment screws. I have looked
everywhere for the tool with no luck. It also seems that the EPA does not
trust anyone without a GSA job classification so they made the tool hard to
get.

I found a high priced version on eBay for $10 plus shipping but that seemed
all too high. I have asked on several lists and at every small engine and
chainsaw shop I passed with no luck but with many complaints about over
reaching government. Well yesterday I found the tool in a local shop, $5 ea
so I bought two, one for me and one for my friend.

Don Bowen KI6DIU