homestead - Re: [Homestead] propagating grapevines

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] propagating grapevines
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:10:21 EDT

> >I clipped some grapevine last week and they still stand in a wet
> dirt-filled baggy on a shelf. Is there any chance they will survive? Got
> any advice before I transplant them into a pot and stick a plastic bag
> over them? I tried to find some rooting hormone last week but no-one had
> any. No willows around.

Keep them cold and moist. Quite cold, as in the bottom of the refrigerator.

You can also bury them outside just like you'd cache or clamp potatoes or
cabbages.

Don't plant them until spring. They root the best from one year old wood,
about the size of a pencil. You need (or needed, as the case may be) to have
marked the cuttings as to which end was toward the ground. This is typically
done by cutting the bottom at an angle and the top flat. A cutting should be
about a foot long and have three buds, one very close to each end and one
(obviously) in the middle.

In the early spring, plant the cutting so that the top bud is an inch or two
out of the ground. Survival rate is usually about 50%.

James