homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins

  • From: Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dorpers and Katahdins
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:17:54 -0400

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

> I could sheer wool sheep with my giant horse clippers. I went and got
> a lesson from a wandering sheep man on a friend's commercial flock. It
> isn't so very hard once you've nailed down the containment
> issue...head gate, sling, hammock, whatever.

You don't just tip them up on their rump like the pros? I tried it, and
had so much trouble keeping them (and me) upright that I couldn't
maneuver to shear them. I'm no weakling, but my ewes are 250-300 pounds.
I finally developed the "knock them down and sit on them" technique. I
had a few escape in mid-shearing, dragging their fleece behind them. How
embarrassing. I say let a professional do it. I get nicer fleeces to
work with (no messy blood spots...mine or sheep...).

Lynn Wigglesworth