homestead - Re: [Homestead] Percy Schmeiser

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Percy Schmeiser
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:06:13 -0700

On Oct 21, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

Maybe this is old news, but I just found out. Percy Schmeiser, the
Canadian canola grower, finally won his case against Monsanto!
http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

Thanks, Lynn. Very good news for all of us, for several reasons. The good guy won. My hat is off to Mr. Schmeiser.

This is from that site:

Schmeiser pleased with victory over Monsanto
In an out of court settlement finalized on March 19, 2008, Percy Schmeiser has settled his lawsuit with Monsanto. Monsanto has agreed to pay all the clean-up costs of the Roundup Ready canola that contaminated Schmeiser's fields. Also part of the agreement was that there was no gag-order on the settlement and that Monsanto could be sued again if further contamination occurred. Schmeiser believes this precedent setting agreement ensures that farmers will be entitled to reimbursement when their fields become contaminated with unwanted Roundup Ready canola or any other unwanted GMO plants.