homestead - Re: [Homestead] Frost

  • From: keith bellinger <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Frost
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:07:27 -0400

We had twenty-nine night before last and the field across the road was white but behind the house where I've complained about the trees surrounding and shading the garden, it didn't hurt a thing. It did shift my gears though. Beets are in the canner. Yesterday I froze ten quarts of carrots. Tomorrow? Maybe bring some of the herbs inside the greenhouse. Anyone else have luck with that? The greenhouse isn't heated but so far remains at least twenty degrees higher than outdoors. I can open my office slider and keep it there for a while longer if need be. we're talking about getting a small propane wall unit like the big one that's in my office (hasn't been used since we moved in).

Woodshed is full, as is half the front porch. Only six cord total but there's a pile of small logs down back we can use if need be.

My old grow-shelf is filled with ripening tomatoes and strings of hot peppers are drying from the ceiling.

Baskets of still more tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and squash, a lone pumpkin saved for Halloween, and apples wait for me to do something with them.

Spinach and Mesclun, a couple cabbages and the entire crop of Brussels sprouts will hold on until I can get to them.

There goes my beeper, gotta go.

Robert Walton wrote:
Who's had a frost of freeze? I'm curious. Had the first freeze last
night here in southern Virginia. It got to 30 degrees for most of the
night, so summer garden that was hanging on is gone. About average.