homestead - Re: [Homestead] corn

  • From: toni eddleman <tonitime AT juno.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] corn
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:18:02 -0400

Hi Susan Jane!
I saw your post on corn, when gleaning thru all the politics! Most
refreshing :)
I also like to make parched corn for a snack - and used my Bloody Butcher
this last year around - yum! I also added to one batch - some garlic
powder, and some salad dressing powder, such as Penzey's spice company
sells. Big Yum!
I know what you mean about the old timers storing the corn outdoors,
tho that was more applicable for larger families or communities. As one
or two-person households, i always shell my corn and put it into gallon
jars to be frozen for a few days, once - or twice, if to be used later in
a year. Just enough to kill weevils, their eggs, and other pests. Then,
it is pantry ready - like all the other grains, beans, and other
legumes. It just doesn't take that much to feed us for a year, or more
until the next crop. Besides, all those big jars and bins of bounty
make one feel so secure to see each day.
As i buy Hominy regularly, i sure would like to start making it here.
Do you do that still? We just had a wonderful soup the last two days -
Mexican Turkey-Veg- and Hominy (in lieu of dried 'Posole' corn). This
went along with our first stove-lighting of the season, since temps
finally hit below freezing. With the chipotles and wild turkey meat -
this soup was a bowl of heaven! If you do hominy, i would love to hear
about it - tho i will internet to find the technique, i love to hear the
story from the maker, and not just read a technical account of the
process!
If this already came up - forgive the oversite. I am more interested
in stead info, as i am about to reach my political saturation point, and
have been deleting for self preservation :)
I DO appreciate how much we all care about the events of the days lately
- after so much apathy for so long......but may go mad if i hear much
more :) Happens every election time....
May the Force be with us........we need it.
Toni in KY Appalachia
Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your needs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3mzvz9v8VDLonAOi0gdAQBrrrfWG6rGlL5fSB9FPgzBTBDxB/