homestead - [Homestead] Food --Genetically engineered animals - FDA

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Food --Genetically engineered animals - FDA
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:30:59 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not as up to date on this issue as I should be as ameat eater. For years
, I've owned stock in the company that cloned "dolly" the sheep. I always
thought this could be one answer to food problems (starvation) in the future.
Some of these scientists are worryed about potential bio - ecological harm.

excerpt:

"We agree with you that the Food and Drug Administration’s proposed
regulation of genetically engineered animals is more rigorous than its
regulation of genetically engineered crops or cloned animals. Unfortunately,
however, the F.D.A. will not be as rigorous as it needs to be.

The agency may assess environmental impact, but it is not required to
prohibit an animal that causes environmental damage. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/13/opinion/l13fda.html