homestead - [Homestead] Tips for basic computer user - NYT

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tips for basic computer user - NYT
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 16:56:42 -0700 (PDT)

If anyone else on the list is even close to my level (very low level) of
computer expertise, this is from NYT (pogue) with basic useful computer /
tech tips. I wasn't aware of most of these ....bobford

October 2, 2008, 12:22 pm

Tech Tips for the Basic Computer User

Last week, I wrote an entry on my blog that began like this:
“One of these days, I’m going to write a book called, ‘The Basics.’ It’s
going to be a compendium of the essential tech bits that you just assume
everyone knows–but you’re wrong.
“(I’ll never forget watching a book editor at a publishing house
painstakingly drag across a word in a word processor to select it. After 10
minutes of this, I couldn’t stand it. ‘Why don’t you just double-click the
word?’ She had no clue you could do that!)”
Many readers chimed in with other “basics” that they assumed every computer
user knew–but soon discovered that what’s common knowledge isn’t the same as
universal knowledge.
I’m sure the basics could fill a book, but here are a few to get you started.
All of these are things that certain friends, family or coworkers, over the
years, did *not* know. Clip, save and pass along to…well, you know who they
are.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/tech-tips-for-the-basic-computer-user/?em

  • [Homestead] Tips for basic computer user - NYT, bob ford, 10/04/2008