homestead - Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Is it serious, or is it not?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:51:03 -0500

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Or is this not an emergency?

Who really knows? Pick your economist. I expect that if all credit
really did disappear that more people than just those who would
normally have access to credit to buy cares or a house or whatever
would be affected. I'm not sure I want to see what would happen if
everyone started to pull their money out of banks.

David Cay Johnston is an economic writer who recently retired from the
NYT, but he hasn't been a cheerleader for Wall Street. Here's his
comments from the New Republic:
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/29/celebrating-the-bailout-bill-s-failure-and-looking-ahead.aspx.

It's a pity that this happened such a short time before the election.
Congress panics easily enough, and now -- well, the panic ain't
pretty.

Marie