homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fat in the diet/lard

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fat in the diet/lard
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:43:26 -0400

My wife tried using grocery-store lard for a pie crust a year or so ago and it was less-than-successful in both handling and taste, so she went back to butter.
Then my sister bought some lard from (I think it was) an Amish farmer not long ago and gave a small tub to my wife, so she tried it again, and her already quite amazing
crusts became spectacular. She also said it handled better than butter and she didn't have to worry as much about it getting warm. It wasn't until these crusts that the mention
of lard could make me hungry!

  • Re: [Homestead] Fat in the diet/lard, tom, 09/27/2008