homestead - Re: [Homestead] Deep fried apple pastry

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Deep fried apple pastry
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:46:37 -0400

1 package dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/2 warm evaporated milk
6 T granulated sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups ap flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 c finely chopped apples, cored and peeled
3/4 tsp cinnamon

Whisk yeast into water.
Cream shortening and sugar.
Add milk, vanilla, water and yeast.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and then stir into the liquids.
Beat or knead till smooth, place in oiled bowl and allow to double.
When doubled, roll it out into a sheet about a 1/2 inch thick.
Spread cut apples out over sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Use a knife or spatula to cut the sheet into squares.
Fold the squares over on themselves, sealing the edges, or just squinch them up and crimp them.
Set aside for second rise.
When ready, fry a few at a time in your oil of choice at 375.
Drain and drizzle with caramel, apple syrup, cinnamon sugar, confectionary sugar, whatever you like.

I often start these the night before and let them have their second very slow rise in my fridge, and fry them in the morning.
You could freeze them after the first rise, and when you want them, either thaw them out the night before in the fridge, or on your countertop for as long as it takes (in my 70 degree kitchen on granite, it took about two hours.)
If you freeze them and then cook them, make sure they don't have ice crystals on them when you put them in the oil. (You probably already know that. : )

Does anyone have a tried and true family recipe that involves some kind of deep fried apple pastry?
I would like to make some pastries to freeze.