homestead - Re: [Homestead] Powder Post Beetles

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Powder Post Beetles
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:24:49 -0400

On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:36 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

What do I do to discourage them?

It takes years for powder post beetles to do any real damage, many
generations of them.

Thanks.. I poked the beams to find them quite sound, unlike after the work of termites.

Any of the pyrethrin or permethrin based insecticides will do them in. Also
painting the wood with the preservative copper naphthanate will both kill them
and prevent future generations.

There here is a container of some plant dusting powder with pyrethrin in it I think. Maybe that's not the right thing to use, but I'll investigate further. I have a garden sprayer that should make use of some liquid stuff easy.

Roy

Roy Morgan
13033 Downey Mill Rd
Lovettsville, VA 20180