homestead - Re: [Homestead] medical safety in this country

  • From: SJC <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medical safety in this country
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:29:21 -0400

Bob, I understood your original point to be that the Canadian medical system is inferior to ours. My point was, or was intended to be, that our system is so far out of kilter that their system is at least no worse, no matter the system of delivery.
I know many Canadians and visit in Canada with regularity (I'm only a couple of hours from NB). I really don't know Canadians that are unhappy with their system, and Ontario seems to have the bulk of the ones I've heard about who are unhappy, for whatever reason/s. I used to work on the coast here where there are hundreds of Canadian vacationers returning every year and sometimes I'd tease them "Why don't you just move down here; you're here all the time anyhow" and the answer was invariably some version of "Oh, but I'd lose my medical card".
I lived and worked in Canada for some time. The system, at least in those times and places, worked much better and much more efficiently than ours. I was appalled when we returned to the states. If you look at rankings of medical care/medical care delivery the world over, our record is well below many so-called socialized systems, regardless of the idiosyncrasies in either system. Much to the dismay of many (not that I'd like them to rank lower just so we could rank higher), even some 'third world' countries now rank much higher than we do, even in areas such as neonatal care, live births, and many other complex situations. We have a dismal mess on our hands. Hundreds of thousands of folks in this country don't ever get a diagnosis until they show up dying in the ER, because they could not afford to see a doctor in the first place, so they don't even have the option of considering the time slot in which they'll be treated....at least the woman with the brain tumor had the diagnosis/option. She had to pay for it. Well, so would I have had to. My insurance wouldn't have covered it. I understand she's upset, but it's not like there would be a drastically different outcome under our system.

By world standards, systems where the motivating factor is a unit of monetary exchange stink. That's the case whether one is looking at pure intent/moneygrubbing (my personal example of unnecessary visits, testing, x-rays, etc) or competence (iatrogenic statistics). By either measure, we're losers. We should be looking at every other system possible to see how we can better ours, even if we have to turn the money part on its head. Or maybe because of the money part alone. Wall Street doesn't have all the greedy uncaring moneygrubbers. You wouldn't be un-insurable in the Canadian system, you know......that just occurred to me. :-)

I left medicine many years ago over the ethics and am sorry to say I've seen nothing but a downhill slide since. I have much admiration for many who've stayed at it; they are better persons than I. I just plain couldn't stomach it, and it made a lousy example for my kids as they got old enough to understand.

I still find the science of medicine fascinating, though.

Susan Jane, still in Maine

bob ford wrote:
Susan, there are plenty of mistakes made by docs and staff that cause injury
and death, I agree. As I said in the other post, I took my one-time PCP to
BOMEX. He was treating himself for depression, and didn't prescribe his own
pysch meds properly which caused him to make a mistake with my meds that
caused me harm. I did not sue him, but I did hold him accountable.
I am un-insurable; if I were to give up my insurance. I could not be covered with any premium. Heart disease and cancer (especially colon cancer) run heavily in both sides of my family and I have suffered the genetic disposition to both, already. I also caused myself additional harm by smoking tobacco for years --that's completely on me. I was raised to be smarter , but I failed at that, and will pay a heavy price, I fear. I don't think I like the health care system , even ,as much, as the next person, and so far, I still have insurance. I just wish for reasonable catastrophic health insurance, the ability to pick my own docs and hospital, and I'm willing to fork over the $$$ for the preventive stuff. I'm neither rich nor poor. The rich don't care what it cost, and neither do the poor. In Arizona, a patient on Medicaid can see most of my docs. I don't begrudge them; Without insurance, I could be wiped out with a couple of major surgeries and follow up care. I just am looking for a way to make the system work without the oppressiveness of the insurance companies or the government .......bobford