homestead - [Homestead] Economy

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Economy
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:45:19 -0400

All the economic stuff has me sort of beat down. Most of what's going
on is way over my head and I sure don't think that our presidential
election is going to be the answer to anything. My best bet at this
time is to concentrate on this homestead.

I was talking to momma tonight (she's in Florida), trying to get the
severity of the situation through to her. I realized whihle I wass
talking to her, that most of my retirement money was put into this
place. That's good, because unlike her, I'm not worrying about where
the retirement nest egg will go. Most of it will be right here.

That's good reassurance.

I've struck up a friendship with a guy up the road. He put 3 trailers
of different lengths together to make one house and it looks pretty
good. I like people that can do stuff like that. We've been doing some
horse trading. He's a real simple guy. He's one of the few rural folk
around here that don't think I'm off my rocker for milking goats and
raising pigs and all the other stuff I do. He's not a homesteader,
just always been self sufficient my nature.

What we both agreed on is it's going to be real tough for people in
this country if food is not on the plate for them. Even here in real
rural America, a lot of people have no clue how to keep hens or grow a
garden. It's going to be an interesting ride if people need to get
back to basics. At least here, even in town, people could get by.

I was in Richmond on Friday and driving downtown. Richmond is a small
city. Looking at the hoards of people that probably don't have the
skills they need even if they did have a little piece of land to make
do on sent chills through my spine.

Whatever becomes of this, I'm really glad I made the move and got on
my piece of land here.

Rob - Va