homestead - Re: [Homestead] Money money money...

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Money money money...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:35:37 -0500

My mother was born in 1919 and remembers the depression. Her father worked
in Los Angles as an accountant all through but at ever decreasing wages.
They lost a house in San Marino and my mother and her sister were shipped
off to an uncle's farm in Bishop several times because they had food. By
the end of the thirties she was able to work and help out then as the war
started she worked at the Lockhead plant in Burbank until a drill bit broke
and hit her eye. My parents married in 1939 because he was in the Marines
and the money helped.

My father was severely wounded on Guam in 1944 so was sent home early so he
was here to do what thousands of other did in the next few years, start a
family. I tell her I know what they were doing in the summer of 1945. I
came along in March of 1946.

Don Bowen KI6DIU