homestead - [Homestead] Pigs

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pigs
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:32:02 EDT

> > Do you dispatch small pigs the way Rob told me in the other posts....?

Close. I shoot the pig at a spot where the X would be if you drew two lines
from each ear to the opposite eye. A .22 round there will cause the pig to
stiffen its legs and then just fall over neatly. Then, as Rob described (if
remember the posts, I skimmed over them), make one neat cut beneath the chin
and work the knive back and forth to sever the artery. This is what acutally
kills the pig and bleeds it out.

If you miss your shot and wound the pig without taking him down, that's known
as "squealing" the pig. It's messy then.

Of course, we might not be talking about the same thing with the word
"small". The smallest pig I've slaughtered in the past many years has been
well over
100 lbs. </HTML>

  • [Homestead] Pigs, Clansgian, 09/20/2008