homestead - Re: [Homestead] The profound sense, the logic of homesteading, is once again revealed

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The profound sense, the logic of homesteading, is once again revealed
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

Gene GeRue wrote:
> "What we are witnessing may be the greatest destruction of financial
>  wealth that the world has ever seen -- paper losses measured in the
>  trillions of dollars. Corporate wealth. Oil wealth. Real estate
> wealth. Bank wealth. Private-equity wealth. Hedge fund wealth.
> Pension wealth. . . . "What is really going on, at the most
> fundamental level, is that the United States is in the process of
> being forced by its foreign creditors to begin living within its
> means."

whoever wrote the above is dead on...except I am not sure that the
wealth is lost...maybe transferred.

> Joseph Stiglitz writes for the Guardian: "Houses of cards, chickens
>  coming home to roost - pick your cliche. The new low in the
> financial crisis, which has prompted comparisons with the 1929 Wall
> Street crash, is the fruit of a pattern of dishonesty on the part of
>  financial institutions, and incompetence on the part of
> policymakers."

Amen.

> . . . At thinkprogress.org, Ali Frickwatched MSNBC host Chris
> Matthews take on Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA) last night:
>
> "Noting that a 'normal president' would be more visible during such a
>  crisis, Matthews compared Bush's response to the current financial
>  turmoil to his handling of Hurricane Katrina:

It's an election year..if he so much as peeps out the window, he gives
his enemies more fodder...best to lay low...out of sight, out of
mind...I think that is what he thinks.

I had a dream, a continuation of a thought as I drifted in and out of
sleep last night.  In the best of all possible worlds, if the worst is
upon us and we truly are facing a depression and crisis of our own
making that would be worse than THE DEPRESSION era, maybe , just maybe,
some good will come of it.  The good that I would like to see is a
return to honesty.  No more cheating...in anything..
There was a program the other night about cheating that disturbed me.
Kids were talking about how cheating in school is normal, that it is
what you have to do to go anywhere in life.  Teachers were showing how
the internet has enabled kids to cheat.  People in general, seem to do
as little as possible these days---no honest work ethic.  Hopefully
someone somewhere, when the moment is dark, will tell those kids that
this economy is the result of cheating and greed.  We can't just blame a
party or an administration, we have blame people across the board...We
have to return to the value of honesty..
The rich will always be around...they got off the Titanic first..they
have already pre-positioned themselves to ride out this disaster, too.
The wealth was just transferred and the losses are just on paper.  The
poor working class Joe/Jill is being buried under the debris of the Wall
Street collapse, just as the poor drowned below decks.  For 99.9% of us,
it doesn't matter how far up the ladder you climb, there is always gonna
be that fall.  What we must learn is a way of life that requires us not
to climb the ladder at all.  Kids must be taught that there are
consequences for cheating, for dishonesty, and even if they don't
personally pay, someone in their family, someone they love or will love,
will pay.  It always comes back around.
So maybe honesty will be in vogue..who knows.

Akka B, hoping that there will be some kinda good paradigm shift in this.