homestead - [Homestead] Implications of a 10 day refinery outage

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Implications of a 10 day refinery outage
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:40:20 -0400

>From the site The Oil Drum:

Where is our gasoline and diesel supply headed? Even before Ike hit, quite a
> few areas of the US were starting to see gasoline shortages. The impact of
> Ike can only make shortages worse. Most likely, it will take refineries at
> least a week or two to get production back to normal levels after a storm of
> this type, considering the impacts of electrical outages and flooding. In
> this article, I will examine some of the issues that seem to be involved.
> Based on my analysis, fuel supply shortages are likely to last well into
> October, and are likely to get considerably worse before they get better.

The article outlines 10 insights with brief explanations, following is
Insight 5:

> *Insight 5. One of the biggest refined product pipelines, Colonial
> Pipeline, is now
> reported<http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN1250205820080912>to be
> shut down, because of lack of refined product input.
> *
>
> Colonial pipeline is one of the largest pipelines, with a capacity of 2.4
> million barrels a day. It serves the Southeast and the East Coast.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4526#more

[It wasn't long ago on a thread that we discussed horse ownership. I said
that I never wanted to own a horse. Well, I'm still not crazy about the idea
but I may have to rethink my position.]

Lisa