homestead - [Homestead] Cheese

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Cheese
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:18:33 -0400

Was it Akka that mentioned getting good cultures for cheese? I'd just
happened to have gotten some Flora Danica culture in right before
that, thread, but hadn't used it yet. It's a mesophilic culture used
in soft cheeses, feta, camembert, brie and others. I made some fresh
goat cheese with it and aged it for a few days. It's really creamy and
has a good taste, much better than the ones I've made before.

You are right, it's worth investing a few $ in cultures. Best part is
you can keep them going, sort of like sour dough.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Cheese, Robert Walton, 09/01/2008