homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gustav-offer of shelter

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gustav-offer of shelter
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 02:12:16 -0400

I agree. A family in a mobile home in Baton Rouge or Lafayette is in just as much danger as anyone living in NO. I personally think that Baton Rouge, aka Red Stick<g>, is in a more dangerous position than New Orleans If you look at the map, you can see that. I'd bet that Gustav shoots up the swamp between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. If the models are right, Lafayette will be east of the eye, which would be bad for Lafayette, but good news for NO, meaning it would hit further away. I just wish more folks would use common sense, learn their enemy, and not rely on public warnings or advice. I would NOT want to live in Huoma or Morgan City, or anywhere down there, because that is the sure bet place, but further inland depends on the angle of the strike.
I never trust the models. I look at the ocean temps, the pressure systems, geography, and I go on my gut feeling.
Hanna is a non-event. Ike won't be an issue either. You heard it here first..lol...(so what if I am wrong, right<g>) What's Ike you say... Invest 97 out by the Cape Verdes...

Bev

Lynda wrote:
It was declared a 4 by the time the news came on here at 5. 8 your time? Haven't heard anymore but at the rate it was moving, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hit a 5.

I'm not trusting the models since they were already wrong twice which is 3 times too many for me! And telling people that were further north to wait until the folks further south were evacuated just makes absolutely NO sense to me at all.

Watching the radar of Gustav leaving Cuba gives me cold chills...It is
totally freaking me out..it is a monster. If it hits as a Cat 4 or 5
storm, it will retain hurricane strength hundreds of miles inland. I'll
bet you see wind damage in Oklahoma and Arkansas, and flooding maybe
even up into Missouri-definitely in states to the south of there.
Louisiana will be a bigger swamp, and east Texas will be a swamp, too.
Have y'all ever see those Earth Changes maps where the Mississippi Delta
is a huge bay....a couple of these type storms and things could start
looking very different.
Anyway, the computer models and tracks show it coming ashore west of the
Delta, more westerly than would do serious ill to New Orleans-some
models have it making landfall almost in Texas and more westerly than
the Katrina track which came ashore east of New Orleans. The angle is
such that it would move away from New Orleans quickly. However, I have a
feeling that it will turn a bit more to the right, reducing that angle,
than is currently predicted and come ashore just slightly west of New
Orleans geographically, which is a worst case scenario for the Big Easy.

Ok, so I make my offer now...if there is anyone subbed to this list who
needs a safe place to stay, you are welcome here. Animals are welcome.
This one is different, people, Red Stick won't be safe this time.

Bev in NW Georgia, about 7.5 hours from New Orleans if you drive the
speed limit.

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting YOUR freedom.